The District encompasses an architectural time span of Santa Rosa starting with early hip roof residences, through to the Spanish or Mission Revival homes found in the northeast section. Much of the early construction done in the District was the work of Roberts and Simpson who worked locally as contractors and carpenters. A number of the larger homes within the area were converted to multiple living units, probably during World War II. Today many are being returned to single-family status.
Architecturally, the Ridgway District provides a panoramic view of historic progression of building styles with some particularly good examples of modest, well-designed 1920's residences as well as newer dwellings constructed in the 1930's, 1940's, and even the 1950's.
City Ordinance No. 3818 established the Ridgway Historic District on March 6, 2007.